WHEN A BAD DAY COMES

My bad days come most often while I am alone with the Lord, searching His Word. I can be overwhelmed with feelings of ignorance as I sense a whole ocean of truth before me, knowing I can't possibly comprehend it because there's so much of it.

I get even more frustrated when I read the great writings of preachers who lived 300 years ago. I end up crying out, "Oh, Lord, I'm like a baby in my understanding compared to these spiritual giants. They lived in a supposedly unenlightened age and yet as young men they wrote about matters I have yet to grasp in my old age. Why is it so hard for me to get it?"

The only answer I receive is what I hear in Paul's words: "Not of works, lest any man should boast" (Ephesians 2:9). All power rests in God, including the power to comprehend truth and maintain a godly life. This great treasure is contained in earthen vessels so that all glory may be to Him.

If your bad day involves a demonic attack on your faith, you may be tempted to think you're being unspiritual just for undergoing it. Yet nothing could be further from the truth.

A godly young man called me in tears and blurted out, "I've just had the worst day of my life and I don't know what to do! A strange feeling came over me today and I can't shake it. Brother Dave, I don't know if there is a God!"

The young man had no idea where his feelings of doubt came from and he was shocked and hurt by the terrible thoughts that entered his mind. He confessed, "I can't feel God's presence. And now I can't help doubting whether He exists at all. What am I going to do? I don't want to harbor these awful thoughts!"

I told him, "Don't be afraid or discouraged. Believe me, this is an old trick of the devil that he loves to play on young believers who are precious to God. He is trying to strike at your faith and confuse you."

I was able to tell this young man the same thing I had told my son Gary when he was going through a bad time: "Just ride it out. Your heavenly Father knows exactly what you're going through and He'll see you through it all. Remember, God has promised never to leave you. Just keep turning to Him—by faith alone!"